SinkingCities

The Cannaregio district is the largest district in Venice. The name is assumed to derive from the vast reed beds there when the area was still uninhabited. During the nineteenth century in this district it is created under Habsburg rule the first land link between Venice and the mainland, with the construction of the station of Saint Lucia as a point of arrival of the railway bridge between Mestre and Venice. As a result of this, in 1858 was built on the third bridge on the Grand Canal, the Scalzi Bridge, right at the train station.

Kommentar verfassen